Young Family

          

Rev. Gabriel Young, aged 85

 

 

Based on the publication in Bawburgh News, September 1988:-

Thanks to some notes, deposited in the Norfolk and Norwich Record Office by the late Miss Margaret Young, we can piece together the involvement of the Young family in Bawburgh village life during the first half of this century. 

The Rev. Gabriel Young was born in Ceylon on the 9th January 1845. He was the eldest son of Henry E. A. Young of Newara Ellaya, who was a tea planter. According to the Parson Daines Memorial sermon, his father had wanted Gabriel to go into the business, but Gabriel had his own calling to the Ministry. His father gave him 500 and said in effect - 'go your own way, this is all you will get from me'.  At some point between then and 1869 his family came to England, and Gabriel completed his priest's training at St. Aidan's in Birkenhead. He was ordained Deacon in the Cathedral church of Ripon on 19th September, 1869, afterwards holding a curacy in Ingrow, Yorkshire (1869-71), before being ordained priest in 1871.

His first link with East Anglia came shortly afterwards when he held curacies at Acle (1872-75), Coddenham, Suffolk (1874-87),  and then Acle again (1888-91). From there, he and his (by then) family came to Bawburgh. On the 7th February 1892, David William Child (Assistant Overseer) witnessed the Installation. He took over Bawburgh from the Rev. Hicks Thomas Deacle (1816-1891) who had been the vicar of St. Mary and St. Walstan for 31 years.

Restoration: The new young Vicar found the church in a deplorable state. As bad, perhaps, as during its decline in the 17th century, when the Dean and Chapter of Norwich ordered its restoration. This late 19th century dilapidation included half-decayed pews, bad flooring and a crumbling tower. The Rev. Young's task was immediately to set about restoration. The Dean and Chapter again contributed, and presented the old Cathedral Nave pulpit.

On the 3rd July, 1892, the church re-opened for worship and gradually, over the next few years, things improved apace. In 1905, the restored Screen was dedicated in the name of Mr. Charles E. Noverre.

In 1904, the Rev. Young suffered the tragic loss of his wife, Caroline. Only a year later, his youngest daughter, Agnes Millicent, died in Parish, aged 27. Parishioners restored the tower in Caroline's memory and the plaque to record the memory of Agnes can be seen in the church.

Rev. Gabriel Young and his famous tricycle

 

 

Rev. Gabriel Young and his daughters outside the rectory. The family loved their pets and are often seen with 2 Jack Russells; here with their cat as well.

The Rev. Young's tenacity was rewarded in 1909 when he officiated at the churchyard extension consecration. The cleaned walls, the restored and furnished altar, showed to the best advantage the window lights; in 1892 pieces of the old stained glass were found and incorporated into the new windows. All this, and more, with the tireless Rev. Young as overseer.

Rev. Gabriel Young showing part of churchyard

 

 

'Young' sisters

 

The Rectory:     The family lived in the Rectory, on the Watton road, now no longer lived in by the clergy; the last being Rev. Willson. While still at the big house, Gabriel bought the next door Babur Hill Cottage, where the family moved on his retirement in 1931, and where his daughter Margaret lived until her death in 1977.

Rev. Gabriel Young outside Bawburgh Church

 

Rev Gabriel young in Bawburgh church

Helena Mary Young, the eldest daughter, chose nursing as her career and extended this to work for the Red Cross. Both she and her sister Margaret (also known as Marjorie) were musical, and played the organ regularly in church. Margaret played also for the Meltons and gave music lessons. Helena is remembered for her great belief in the health-giving properties of onions, while Margaret was always giving out apples!

The Rev. Young himself was 'short, little man' and expected always to be addressed as 'Sir' by the children of the village. He made many visits to the school. The first, on the 11th March, 1892, is recorded in the school's Log Book thus: "The new vicar, the Rev. Gabriel Young, visited the school for the first time this morning and gave a scripture lesson."

The annual Sunday School treat saw the local children visiting the Rev. Young and his family at the Vicarage, eating quince jam sandwiches. No doubt Margaret's guides came in for some quince jam, as well as the apples, since there were plenty around in the garden.

Gabriel's son, Annesley, went to America and was a priest in Charge at St. Augustine's Episcopal Church in Croton, and the Church of the Divine Love in Montrose.

The Rev. Gabriel Young died, at home, on the 7th May 1934, in his ninetieth year. He, and his wife Caroline and daughter, Helena, are buried in Bawburgh churchyard. When Margaret died in 1977, parishioners commissioned the statue of St. Walstan as her memorial. It was dedicated by the Rev. Robert Loveless in 1981.

(Much of the information on the family is with thanks to Mrs. Ivy Lake)

Homecoming of Annesley Thomas Young, outside the Rectory from left to right: Margaret, Isabel, (front) Anita, Rev  Gabriel Young, Annesley, Helena (behind gatepost). Anita's sister, Marjorie, is on the Rev. Young's famous tricycle, but sadly obscured by      the union flag. Photo taken at the old Vicarage, now Rectory House,    Watton Road.

 

 

Based on the publication in Bawburgh News, October 1999:-

As shown in photo, the homecoming of the son of the Vicar, Gabriel Young, in 1913. Annesley Thomas Young was the second of the Vicar's children with Caroline Eliza Julia Young (nee Renouf), and was born 21st June 1873, two years after their marriage in 1871. He was licensed as a Lay Reader in 1894, when he was only 21, having attended Queen College, Newfoundland, and was later ordained deacon, in Milwaukee. He married Isabel Gertrude Stebbins, daughter of Major Stebbins of Barron, Wisconsin, in 1897 where Annesley had been responsible for the building of St. Marks Church. They had two daughters, Marjorie and Anita - the photograph shown on the left was found in Anita's scrapbook.

The School Logbook records their visit thus: "July 21st 1913: The Vicar's son, Rev. Young of Chicago and C.E. Noverre, visited school, and gave an interesting account of Red Indians!"

The photograph  and foregoing detail comes thanks to Tom Davis of Pennsylvania, Great-Grandson of Annesley Young, who visited Bawburgh in May 1998. Tom's mother, Dede, her cousin Tom  Smith and his wife, also visited Bawburgh a year later in 1999. When we reported upon these visits, Barbara Woodrow (nee Woods) remembered a photograph she had of a Marjorie Isabelle Young as a young woman - who indeed transpires to be the mother of Tom Smith (seen on left as a child). She also pointed out that, it was Helena Young, and not Marjorie Young who played the organ at Bawburgh Church. Barbara resurrected some detailed notes on Marjorie's illustrious musical career starting in Brighton,  and continuing at  the Norwich School of Music. She gained medals and qualifications for piano teaching and singing. She had become an established music teacher, when because of ill-health she returned to Bawburgh and launched an innovative venture providing music tuition by post as well as composing original works and inventing a musical game of "snap!" During her tuition of the choirs at Little and Great Melton churches, they became very successful at Music Festivals - a talented lady indeed! (Many thanks to Barbara Woodrow).             

Marjorie Young's 90th Birthday

 

Published in Bawburgh News, October 1997:-

On the occasion of Marjorie Young's 90th Birthday, 3rd October 1974 - June Farrow does the honours of presenting a bouquet. Marjorie Young was daughter of the Rev. Gabriel Young, played  the organ in 4 churches in the area, and played in Bawburgh Church on her Birthday in 1974. The family arrived at the Vicarage on Watton Road (now Rectory House) in 1892, when Margaret, always known as Marjorie, was aged 16. She died on 17th February 1977, aged 94, still living next door to the Vicarage at Babur Hill Cottage.

With thanks to Ray Clare and acknowledgements to the EDP.

Further Note: Marjorie was born at Coddenham in 1884, one of 9 children, 2 died in infancy and one died when quite young. After the death of her mother, Marjorie moved back home to look after her father.

Helena Young, Gabriel's eldest daughter chose nursing as a career

 

 

Helena Mary Young  

Helena Mary Young was 20 years old, when her family arrived at the Vicarage in 1892. Her father, the Rev. Gabriel Young was Vicar of Bawburgh from that date, for 39 years. He died in 1934, aged 89. Helena, a nurse, died in 1940, aged 68. By this time, the family were living in Babur Cottage, next door to the Vicarage on Watton Road. Known as 'Nurse Young'  Helena worked for the Red Cross and attended many confinements in the village during the first four decades of the Century. Her sister, Margaret, known as Marjorie, was four years her junior, and died in 1977, aged 94. Helena played the organ in Church and organised the choir, whilst Marjorie was better known as Captain of the Girl Guides.

 

Bawburgh Girl Guides

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Back to Characters of Bawburgh past Home Page