Bawburgh Village

Home News Noticeboard Contact Us

History Alphabet

See the Church Page

is, of course, for the Church

Church Farmhouse nestles below the church, and has a fascinating history of its own - having housed the six priests required during the Church's heyday. But also in latter years being an important working farm in the village. It is now a private residence.

See Community Car Scheme page for more information

C is also for Bawburgh's Community Car Scheme

This is where Bawburgh's rich past meets the present-day. The Scheme was set up from monies from the interest on two legacies left to the village (one Sarah Hartt in 1923, and one John Wagstaffe in 1809). It has run for over 30 years and is a boon for those without transport to visit doctors surgeries and hospitals. It continues to do service today, with David Goodman as overall co-ordinator, and a team of volunteer drivers. The Scheme was the first of its kind in Norfolk, when Joyce Masters set it up in 1979 and was continued by Neita Sparkes until 2009.

C is also for the Costessey Connection,

Costessey,a suburb of Norwich, a few miles away, but inextricably linked to Bawburgh through the years, as much of the village belonged to the Costessey Estate, including Bawburgh Hall

C is also for Church Farmhouse

Sitting on low lying land to the north of the Church and with the auspicious neighbour of Saint Walstan’s Well, Church Farmhouse is certainly visually a magnificent house, with an equally fascinating history. Not so obviously, it has not housed the Vicar of the day, since medieval times, when it was necessary for six Priests to be accommodated there to deal with the hundreds of pilgrims to the Well. Since then, it has simply been Church Farm. There are records of a house on the spot since 1278 and the present 2-foot thick back wall dated as 13th century ties in well with this. Church Cottage housed vicars until around 1813, when Rectory House on Watton Road, and then the new Vicarage in Little Melton were used. In the meantime the tenants of Church Farm have been closely associated with the Church. Church Farm was not transferred from ownership of the Church until 1820, when the Unthank family, and then Intwood Estates took over. The Unthank family, of Intwood Hall, never lived in the house, but instead a succession of tenant farmers, until in 1979, when the Hannison family took over ownership. There has only been one more change, that to the Green family, and thankfully both families have taken their responsibilities of ownership and restoration very seriously. The property is a Grade II* (with star) Listed Building and continues its association with Church and Well, with the continuation of Saint Walstan’s Day celebrations in their wonderful garden.

Above information thanks to the Greens and Geoffrey Kelly’s research of 1988.

C is also for Childs Terrace

This attractive set of cottages, is symbolic of changes through difficult and better times for the village. Built during the 17th century (although with an even older retaining wall going back to medieval times), the terrace was known as the Poor Yard, even in living memory. It was during the Sixties that demolition was ordered, but they did not account for the determination of the last tenant—Mrs. Mabel Holmes. Fortunately by the time she did eventually move to Hockering Lane, the village was by then subject to the Conservation Report of 1973, which promised to preserve the character and seek to improve the village by encouraging schemes to restore decaying buildings. This was timely, in that not only was Childs Terrace ready for demolition, the Kings Head and Blacksmiths Cottage were in need of care and attention too. Early during the twentieth century the Terrace was home to eight families, the Mortimers had to occupy two of them (although inconveniently not adjoining!). Mostly employment would have been at the nearby Mill, and the cottages owned by it—thus the name of Childs, Millers during that time. With the restoration work during the Seventies, the nine cottages became five, and something not needed before—a garage block for five cars too. The work was carried out by Carters, and restoration completed in 1977. With the arrival of the Goodmans at numbers one and two in 2005, the frontage and gardens have excellent new caretakers! All this thanks to Mrs. Holmes.

Return to History Alphabet

 

 

 

×