Bawburgh Village

Home News Noticeboard Contact Us

History Allphabet

is for Lodge Farm

a property of crests and surrounding characters, which lies on the eastern extremity of Bawburgh and was built as a Dower House for Griselda Wodehouse of Kimberley.  A large plaster crest over a downstairs mantelpiece recognises this fact.  A second crest, in an upstairs bedroom, indicates that the building dates from the reign of Charles I (1625 - 1660).  The crowstep gables are similar to that of the now-demolished Bawburgh Hall, and dates from the same time (1634).  Sadly, Bawburgh Hall's architectural prowess did not save it, but Lodge Farm has been designated a Grade II (with star) Listed Building.  A previous owner, Atlas Aggregates, has ensured the surrounding area, has been used to its limits, with water now very close to the building.  The farm has a long and interesting history.  Dolly Tallowin lived there during her childhood early in the 20th Century, and she has described to Bawburgh News readers the idyllic situation there - that is, until her father had to sell up in the 1930s.  Since then, Ivy Morter, who was a memorable village character, was the last Farmer at Lodge Farm, when she died in 1975.  The consequent Auction of the property (then sold to RMC) created great interest. The most recent change of hands in 2010, to Zena and Nick Calton and family, has meant  that Lodge Farm has been restored to its previous glory.

In May 2017 Issue of Bawburgh News, a 30 year old mystery was solved. A family who live on Watton Road, at the at the bungalow next to the house at the top of Stocks Hill - Trevor and Liz have had this picture  in their family for over 100 years. For the last 30 years, Liz has been trying to work out the connection of the picture and what house it was.

The picture was originally owned by her Grandmother who was born in the 1800s and died in the 1960s when it was then hung in an Aunt's house. For years they've been searching and finally they took the frame off and, to their amazement, they saw the words Bawburgh Lodge on the bottom of the water colour. They contacted Zena Calton with a view to see if it really was Lodge Farm in Bawburgh, and it is!

Zena said, "All this time they lived just five minutes from the picture, they can even see the trees covering our house from their garden. And to our amazement we find that Lodge Farm was even bigger before the 1900s when two thirds of it was knocked down to build the hunting lodge for the Barclay Family at Colney Hall across the lakes from us, keeping the original Jacobean part and the porch at the front". 

Also L for Lavender

The meadow (between Church Street and the Bridge) was once known  Lavender's Pightle, and a short article appeared in Bawburgh New's first Edition in October1983 about it and again in 2000. John Lavender had a short tenancy at Bawburgh Hall around 1866, where he died, and so it seems unlikely that the meadow name, gleaned from the 1730 deeds of Flint Cottages would tie in with this date. But there is a large reminder of John Lavender - the railed grave on the left of the church path.

Return to History Alphabet

 

 

×